We are looking for an enthusiastic leader who can further develop the mission of these two Southport churches. Since early 2017 the two parishes have prayerfully embraced the idea of coming together in partnership. Both PCCs have been proactive in cultivating positive working relationships over the last year and are excited by the possibilities. They are looking for someone who can help them move forward to see a bigger church making a bigger difference.
All Saints is a smaller congregation which has been led by a Local Missional Leader (LML) while Holy Trinity, with a larger congregation, is a diverse town centre parish whose incumbent retired recently. The role is a stimulating, creative and demanding one which is supported by a significant number of gifted lay leaders.
The Vicar will have the use of the vicarage for Holy Trinity parish.
Holy Trinity embraces a moderately catholic tradition with a reputation for exceptional choral performance and strives for excellence in musical liturgy within a recently refurbished large and beautiful building. The church aims to link with the wider community with an adjacent parish centre, strong connections to the church primary school, a wide-ranging arts programme and links with a number of local agencies. There is recognition in both churches of a range of challenges around increasing outreach and growth; maintaining strong finances; reaching out to the younger generation and enhancing their role in civic life.
All Saints is a moderately evangelical church with a desire to embrace all traditions. They are led by a Local Missional Leader who is also a Lay Reader. He is exploring ordination but will remain with the church. He leads a team of readers, retired clergy and wardens. The church is financially stable with well maintained, accessible buildings. They are a welcoming church who desire to become an inviting church.
Both churches are in a central position in the seaside town of Southport which is a diverse community with all the attractions and challenges you would expect in a resort town. It is an excellent base for access to Liverpool, Manchester, the North West and beyond.
The churches are looking for a priest who will:
- foster and develop the vision of both churches for numerical and spiritual growth
- maintain the distinctive liturgical traditions and worship of both churches
- encourage and develop youth in both congregations
- discern and develop the gifts of others
- implement new and imaginative ways to connect with the community.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- energy and enthusiasm
- an ability to organise resources
- good communication skills whilst being approachable and encouraging
- an ability to engage in their preaching and communicate effectively.
For more information about this application process, please use this link
For many years we have been working to achieve growth in our diocese. We have used different ways to express this but the aim and direction of travel has remained the same – consistent with the whole of the Church of England. When Bishop Paul was installed he adopted our growth agenda refreshing it by saying ‘we are asking God for a bigger church so we can make a bigger difference; more people knowing Jesus more justice in the world’
This is how we express our mission.
We think we will achieve this mission if we have
100 new congregations
1,000 new leaders
to help us do this we are calling every worshipping Christian in our diocese to
- Sign up to the Bishop of Liverpool’s rule of life which will encourage and support us to Read, Learn, Pray, Give, Serve, Tell
- bring 1 friend into the regular worshipping and serving life of the church (bring one friend)
- do 10 acts of service or find 10 new points of connection beyond the walls of the church (do ten things)
- Bishops statement – Southport Holy Trinity and Southport All Saints
- Parish Profile – Southport Holy Trinity and Southport All Saints
- Role Description – Southport Holy Trinity and Southport All Saints
- Person Specification – Southport Holy Trinity and Southport All Saints
- Draft SOP – Southport Holy Trinity and Southport All Saints